Owning a horse brings a lot of excitement, but it does take a lot of responsibility and commitment as well. You have to be able to care for the horse and have the money to provide for your horse too. Before buying a horse, it is especially important to set out a plan such as your goals, budget plans, and to make a list of what you will need to help support your horse, not to mention the vet and farrier bills. To make that “planning” a little easier, today I am giving you 5 must-haves for a new horse owner. This is really helpful if you are stuck and don’t know what the first steps are in taking care of your horse. I hope this post helps all of you new horse owners out there and gives you a good idea of what owning a horse is all about. Enjoy!
My 5 Must-Haves:
1. Halter and Leadrope – I highly suggest that you buy a halter and lead rope and that should be the first thing on your list. Your horse might have already come with a halter and lead rope, but if he didn’t, this must-have is definitely VERY helpful!
2. Grooming Bin – This is a very important must-have as well. You should invest in a tack kit with grooming tools such as brushes, hoof picks, mane and tail brushes, detanglers, horse clippers (if you are going to be showing), etc.
3. Tack kit – You should put some money into buying a tack kit with tack such as a saddle, bridle, martingale, saddle pad, leg wraps, girths, longe line, crops, etc.
4. Winter blanket, coolers, rain sheets, fly sheets – You should invest in some year round blankets that you will be needing to use such as a winter blanket if it is cold and your horse hasn’t grown a thick fur coat, coolers for a sweaty or wet horse, rain sheets, fly sheets, etc. You can buy all of these at your local tack store such as Greenhawk or you can buy them online such as stores like Schneiders Tack. Note that you do not need to buy every single one of these products, just blankets that are most useful to you throughout each season. Also, note that every horse owner has different views and perspectives on blanketing so not all horse owners will blanket their horses in the winter.
5. Horse “hygiene” care – Now you will need to invest in some hygiene products for your horse such as shampoo, conditioner, detangler, tea tree oil for their cuts, etc. It is so worth it to have those “hygiene” products as back-up for when you need them most.
Well, those are my top 5 must-haves for the new horse owner. All of these must-haves can be purchased second hand. A good tip is to look around for other horse owners selling their tack, blankets, grooming supplies, etc. Also, watch for sales at your local tack stores. Buying all of these at once can be very expensive, so buy them as you need them most.
I have also included an infographic below so right click to save or download the image.
I hope that you enjoyed this post and found it helpful, especially if you are a recent horse owner. Having a horse is a journey that you are about to take or you might already be taking. It truly tests your character and your management skills as well. I wish you all the best in your riding journey! Thanks for reading!
What is your must-have as a horse owner?