Summer has arrived… well kind of… I mean with thunderstorm warnings and rain where I live, it doesn’t make for a “fun in the sun” kind of day. Technically, however, summer here began on June 20, so I thought I would give all those summer lovers a guide to thriving this summer as a horseback rider. I don’t know about any of you, but I love to ride outside. Sometimes though it does get really warm. So today, I am sharing with you 10 tips I feel will help to stay cool in the summer. We want to enjoy riding in the summer instead of feeling like we are going to melt from heat exhaustion (I am sure you all have been there). I hope that you enjoy this list of tips and most of all find them super helpful!
1. Make bug spray and sunscreen your best friends (and extra bug spray for your horse)
2. Water can literally be your lifesaver – have a water bottle close by when you are riding
3. On those cloudy, rainy days, dress in layers – you never know if the weather could change quickly into a hot day
4. Invest in a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes on long trail rides
5. Learn to love the wind/breeze
6. Don’t ride for long hours in the sun – keep it short, but sweet
7. Don’t be afraid to ride inside some days
8. Wear light-colored riding clothing – dark colors absorb the sun light
9. Invest in a good pair of light weight, breathable breeches or any type of riding pants
10. Don’t be afraid to ride in your swimsuit one day (ha-ha, just kidding)
I hope that you enjoyed these 10 tips I feel make riding through the summer just a little easier! I have created an info graphic to show these tips. Right click to download it onto your computer. Until next time… don’t forget to hug your horse!
What are your tips to thriving this summer as a horse rider?